Below is a list of bills that Senator Hedlund filed for the 2011/2012 legislative session.
An Act Relative to Enhancing Melanie’s Law (SD720)
Four part piece of legislation that:
- 1. Closes the loopholes in Melanie’s Law that allows repeat druk drivers to receive concurrent OUI sentences and concurrent assignments to alcohol/drug treatment programs for multiple OUI offenses.
- 2. Permits the registry of motor vehicles to simply count the number of OUI convictions/assignments to determine the duration of a license suspension.
- 3. Stops those who lose their license for refusing to take the breathalyzer from getting their license back prematurely.
- 4. Increases the maximum sentence for repeat drunk drivers for a fifth or subsequent offense to up to twenty years (currently the max is 5).
An Act Relative to Ignition Interlock Devices (SD491)
Requires the installation of an ignition interlock device in cars after the first conviction of driving or operating under the influence of alcohol.
An Act Relative to Illegal Immigrants and Publicly Subsidized Housing (SD701)
This would provide citizens or legal residents of the United States with preference over illegal immigrants when it comes to public subsidized housing.
An Act relative to youth sports referees (SD341)
USA Hockey has instituted a policy of not allowing kids to register in their officiating program because of child labor laws. In Massachusetts, the minimum age is set at 14 years old. Other states have exemptions for youth sports officiating, but Massachusetts does not. This legislation would provide an exemption so that children as young as 10 years old could work as youth sports referees or time keepers (but could not work at concession stands).
An Act relative to renewable energy generation and connection (SD1608)
This legislation would call on the DPU to promulgate regulations requiring utilities to provide access to the grid and the certainty that the electricity produced by renewable generators will be purchased. Based on the feed-in-tariff system in Germany.
An Act relative to prescription drug coupons (SD 874)
This legislation would allow prescription drug manufacturers to offer coupons and vouchers directly to consumers. Currently Massachusetts is the only state that does not allow such a program.
An Act to prevent farm animal cruelty (SD 335)
This legislation would prohibit the use of “gestation crates” or any other confinement of farm animals in a manner that does not allow them to turn around freely, lie down, stand up, and fully extend their limbs.
An Act to create a motorcycle safety fund (SD1694)
This legislation would take $2 from each motorcycle registration and put it in a Motorcycle Safety Fund. The purpose of the fund will be to provide funding for Motorcycle Safety Foundation approved rider education courses and instructor training, maintaining a policy manual that shall provide minimum requirements for instructors and businesses that offer approved rider education courses in the commonwealth, and public awareness efforts.
An Act relative to motorcycle sound emissions (SD 1687)
This legislation would prohibit the use of modified exhaust systems on motorcycles that amplify noise emitted by the exhaust.
An Act Relating to the Treatment of Elephants (SD479)
Prohibits circuses and other traveling shows from using bull hooks and extended chains to train, discipline, or restrain elephants in Massachusetts.
An Act to Allow Hybrid and Alternate Fuel Vehicles in HOV-Designated Highway Lanes (SD487)
Rewards commuters driving Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Vehicles by allowing them to travel in the HOV lane with only one person in the car.
An Act Relating to Speeding in the Breakdown Lanes (SD1848)
Doubles the fine for drivers speeding in the breakdown lane during hours in which drivers are allowed to drive in the breakdown lane.
Reforming Chapter 40B Package
A number of bills addressing major problems in Chapter 40B.
- An Act relative to the density of affordable housing projects (SD724)
- An Act relative to affordable housing use restrictions (SD705)
- An Act relative to tracking affordable housing projects (SD715)
- An Act relative to defining affordable housing (SD729)
- An Act relative to affordable housing built near wetlands (SD481)
- An Act relative to subsidizing affordable housing (SD484)
- An Act regarding affordable housing built in historic districts (SD707)
- An Act relative to the oversight of affordable housing developments (SD489)
- An Act relative to 40B cost certification (SD845)